- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- Église Saint-Jacques-le-Mineur de Liège ›
Église Saint-Jacques-le-Mineur de Liège: Interior, nave looking towards altar and apse
The former Benedictine abbey was founded in AD 1015 by Baldéric II, the Prince-Bishop of Liège, and the church was transformed into a collegiate church in the 18th century and into a parish church in 1803. The present building combines a 12th-century façade block from the Romanesque church, consecrated in 1030, with a Gothic building started in the 15th century. The rebuilding of the eastern choir continued until 1538. The work was directed by Arnould van Mulken, who combined Renaissance and Late Gothic motifs in the abundant decoration. The portal, built between 1558 and 1568 and attributed to Lambert Lombard, is one of the first manifestations of a classical style in present-day Belgium.