- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Turin Cathedral ›
Turin Cathedral: Overall view, showing campanile, facade of the cathedral and Chapel of the Holy Shroud
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist (Italian: San Giovanni Battista), it is adjacent to an earlier campanile (1470). It is the only significant Renaissance building in Turin, commissioned by Archbishop Domenico della Rovere from the Tuscan architect Meo da Caprino. The Chapel of the Holy Shroud (Cappella della Sacra Sindone), the current resting place of the Shroud of Turin, was added to the structure in 1668-1694 by Guarini. The chapel connects the apse of the cathedral with the west wing of the Royal Palace.