Medinet Habu: Interior, one of three columned halls in Great Temple
The inner parts of the temple are divided by three columned halls that give on to a number of chambers and suites, including treasuries, cult rooms and chapels of divinities, particularly of the sun-god Re, of Osiris, King of the netherworld, and the King, worshipped in this temple as an aspect of Amun.
Site of ruins dating from the Early New Kingdom (ca. 1500 BCE) through the Coptic Period (700-800 CE), including the Temple of Amun. Located at the southern end of the Theban necropolis, on the west bank of the Nile. More specifically Medinet Habu is the name commonly given to the Mortuary Temple of Ramesses III (known as the "Great Temple" of the site.) The temple itself is the best preserved of its kind in Thebes and exemplifies many of the classic features of a royal mortuary temple. Its massive pylons and outer walls are covered with reliefs extolling the King's prowess in battle, particularly his repulse of invasions by Libyans and Sea Peoples.