- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Palais de Justice de Paris ›
Palais de Justice de Paris: Distant view of facade facing the south end of the Pont-au-Change
Located in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, it is built on the site of the former royal palace of Saint Louis, of which the Sainte Chapelle remains. Thus the justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris. The Palais also contains the ancient structure of the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The exterior includes sculptural work by sculptor Jean-Marie Bonnassieux and Jules-Félix Coutan. Guillaume-Martin Couture rebuilt (1776) part of the hall that had been destroyed by fire.