- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia›
- Saint John Chrysostom Church, Yaroslavl ›
Saint John Chrysostom Church, Yaroslavl: Left, summer church of St. John Chrysostom, left, winter church of Our Mother of Vladimir and the belltower, Candle of Yaroslavl
See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/
During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl' became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom's Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust John Chrysostom was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led by Alexei Soplyakov. The winter Church of Vladimirskaya (Vladimirski Bogomateri) next door dates from 1669. Between is a 37 meter high bell tower called the Candle of Yaroslavl (1680s). All typify the Yaroslavl brick architecture, noted for the brilliance of their red brick walls and polychrome tiles. The use of glazed ceramics for the decoration of façades was a particular feature of Yaroslavl' architecture.