- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Church of St. Andrew with Chapel of Saint Isidore ›
Church of St. Andrew with Chapel of Saint Isidore: Entry from the Plaza de los Carros
The large church of San Andrés, Capilla del Obispo and Capilla de San Isidro dates from the 16th century, but was badly damaged in the Civil War in 1936 and later rebuilt in a relatively simple style. Attached to it, though (but with separate entrances), are two of Madrid's most historic early church buildings. The Capilla del Obispo (Bishop's Chapel, 1520-1535), with its entrance on Plaza de la Paja, is the best-preserved Gothic building in the city. It contains finely carved tombs and a 1550 altarpiece by Francisco Giralte. Further towards Plaza de los Carros is the Capilla de San Isidro, built in 1642-1669 by Pedro de la Torre to house the remains of the saint, which were later transferred to the Iglesia-Catedral de San Isidro (La Colegiata).