San Cataldo: Exterior showing blind arches, bulge domes and Arab-style merlons
San Cataldo is a notable example of Norman architecture. The church is annexed to that of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio La Martorana. Founded around 1160 by admiral Majone di Bari, in the 18th century the church was used as a post office. In the 19th century it was restored and brought back to a Medieval form. It has a rectangular plan with blind arches, partially occupied by windows. The ceiling has three characteristics red, bulge domes (cubole) and Arab-style merlons. The interior has a nave with two aisles. The naked brick walls are faced by spolia columns with Byzantine style arcades. The pavement is the original one and has a splendid mosaic decoration.