Marble
University of Notre Dame
Loading navigation...

Lycée Corneille, Rouen: Interior of the chapel, looking towards altar and apse

Date

Circa 1910

Location

Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries

In response to the Protestant Reformation, the archbishop of Rouen, Charles de Bourbon wished to found a school for Catholic instruction, opened as the Collège de Bourbon, run by Jesuits in 1593. It later operated as a Royal College (1762), awarding the baccalaureate. The courtyard and Hall of Records were created ca. 1762. The The first stone of the chapel was laid in 1614 by Queen Marie de Medici; completed 1631. This single-nave church with cross plan (52 m long) is a synthesis between the late Gothic and Neoclassical. It was saved from demolition by the City Council in 1895 and became a listed building in 1910. It became a central preparatory or high school in 1870. The school is now named for Pierre Corneille (1606-1684) who was educated at the college.

In response to the Protestant Reformation, the archbishop of Rouen, Charles de Bourbon wished to found a school for Catholic instruction, opened as the Collège de Bourbon, run by Jesuits in 1593. It later operated as a Royal College (1762), awarding the baccalaureate. The courtyard and Hall of Records were created ca. 1762. The The first stone of the chapel was laid in 1614 by Queen Marie de Medici; completed 1631. This single-nave church with cross plan (52 m long) is a synthesis between the late Gothic and Neoclassical. It was saved from demolition by the City Council in 1895 and became a listed building in 1910. It became a central preparatory or high school in 1870. The school is now named for Pierre Corneille (1606-1684) who was educated at the college.
Open external viewer application

Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.